2022 changes to Schedule 6 of the Planning Regulation 2017

In December 2022, The Queensland State Government enacted ’emergency housing’ changes to Schedule 6 of the Planning Regulation 2017. This was just one part of the State planning legislation amended with the intent to reduce red tape and get more housing stock into QLD.  Below we explain how this impacts your property and development projects […]

How to Obtain Development Approval in Queensland

What is a Development Approval A development approval may be referred to as a DA, Planning Permit or Council Approval.  In the State of Queensland, you may require an approval for your property project if you wish to: Increase dwelling density Increase the intensity of an existing use Change a use Subdivide land Develop land […]

Development Approval Currency Period

What is a currency period Once Council permits are issued a common and necessary question from clients is “how long will my development permit last?”, “what is the development approval currency period?” or other variation, “how long do I have to start and complete my Council Approval?”. The technical term being the ‘currency period’ is […]

Rent Out Your Granny Flat

secondary dwelling qld

Can I rent out my QLD granny flat? As of 26 September 2022, the Queensland Government has amended planning legislation for all Queensland Councils to enable secondary dwellings, also known as a granny flat to be occupied by a second household. JREY town planning expert believes this will allow for some increased rental options for […]

Secondary Dwelling or Dual Occupancy

Dual occupancy vs Secondary Dwellings

The difference between a secondary dwelling and a dual occupancy A secondary dwelling is also colloquially known as a granny flat. A secondary dwelling is the use of a premises containing two dwellings on one lot (whether or not attached) for a single household. A dual occupancy in Queensland is also called a duplex. Unlike other States […]

Town Planner Fees

town planner fees

What does it cost to engage a town planner?  A standard hourly charge for a town planner is between $150-$300 AUD. The fees charged depend on the consultancy size, experience and the project.  What should you budget for town planning fees? If you are seeking initial town planning advice we recommend budgeting $500 for smaller […]

Town Planning In Ipswich

Ipswich Town Planner

About the Ipswich City Plan Council adopted the Consolidated Ipswich Planning Scheme on 14 December 2005 which took effect (commencement date) on 23 January 2006. Each locality is further divided into Zones and in some cases, Sub Areas and Precincts. The planning scheme also provides a secondary organisational layer called Overlays, which are based on […]

STCA meaning?

STCA stands for ‘Subject to Council Approval’. But what does STCA mean? The meaning of the STCA acronym implies that a property has potential to be developed or re-developed but only with a Council development approval. The statement STCA is often utilised (sometimes over-utilised) by real estate agents in Queensland to imply a property has […]

Health Care Service Approval

health care services approval

What is a Health Care Service?   “Health care service means the use of premises for medical purposes, paramedical purposes, alternative health therapies or general health care, if overnight accommodation is not provided on the premises”   Dental clinics, medical centres and physiotherapy clinics all fall under the use of Health care service. This use […]

Brisbane Carports and Garages

Carport approval Brisbane

Does my Brisbane carport or garage need a Development Application? In some cases Brisbane carports and garages will require a development application (town planning application) to be submitted to Council. Below we have created a few simple steps to identify if your carport or garage will trigger an application requirement.    Step 1: Determine if you […]